Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Monday, September 8, 2008

Cleaning the Family Room

I have been inspired by some of the beautiful rooms and corners and other special areas other people share on their blogs that I decided to jump in to start cleaning the family room. This is where we hang out most of the time and the mess has been driving me crazy. I needed to feast my eyes on something nice when I relax in my recliner. The picture below is the before mess. Now you know why it is driving my crazy. Plus the dusty smell we were getting was getting annoying. I would wrinkle my nose and say to myself "time to do something about this." Time to vaccum really good.

I went over the carpet several times to really get up the dust and dirt. What a difference! You can really smell the difference when you walk out of room and then come back in again. That makes me smile! Also got down most of the cobwebs and did most of the dusting.

This picture shows how much better it looks now. I can't believe I actually got the entire table cleared off. We took out a the center leaf to make it a circle. Takes up less space that way. That table is a very good maple table that used to belong to my late Godmother. I know the table cloth does not really fit that table, but I don't have any round table cloths. I have a fall theme table runner somewhere around here that I want to use. But I need to get a round fall color tablecloth first. Then I need to find that table runner. Right now I can't remember where I put it!

This morning my husband said, "what a different feeling to walk in here!" He is right. It does feel different and better too! I still need to finish straightening up the bookcase by the table and along the right side of the picture out of sight still needs to be cleaned up and straightened and dusted. I am starting to smile at my room now and that is what counts. I am now motivated to continue and perhaps get some of my fall things out do some fun decorating. I have a set of 3 cloth pumpkins I made one year. I usually put those out each year. Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Your room looks great!! I have several areas in my house where I have to close the doors just to keep from looking at the clutter that somehow got there (and no one in this family ever know how it got there :>) ). But anywho...Great Job!!! I need some motivation and a good weekend to accomplish things here.

Thanks for letting me know about the pictures on the blog ... funny thing is I can see them fine, so I need to figure out how to get it to have a solid background for everyone else or change it again :P

The other day you ask about my Angel blinkie for the month, you can get it here and lots of other cute blinkies... http://www.geocities.com/expatpalette/ Sorry to be long winded... Have a great night!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson