Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Saturday, May 9, 2009

How I Spent My Saturday

Saturday was busy day for us.
First we had to go out of town for a meeting related
to church.
It was to prepare us for the convention we are going to
as delegates from our church in about 3 weeks.
Then it was a quick drive through McDonald's for lunch.
Had not been to one for awhile.
Couldn't believe all the changes in the drink choices.
Wow!
Then it was off to get back to my mom for our afternoon with her.
She was still at the Women's Luncheon at our church helping with clean up.
I would have gone to that if I didn't have this other meeting.
So I helped so she could be done sooner.
Then it was to this Rose Garden.
We had gone once before a few years ago.
Here is the entry.
John's Rose Garden.
It is now a memorial garden since he passed away.
They are only open once a year to the public.
The Saturday before Mother's Day.
All the family members were wearing name tags and they
said how they were related to John.
This picture is along side the driveway.
Just look at all those roses.
The red rose in the front was John's favorite rose.
He had planted those all along the front property line area.
I then see a friend from the days when her son and my son were in Cub Scouts.
It was great fun to catch up with her and her son.
Some of the roses are labeled. This one is called
Fourth of July.
I want one of these in my yard.
I had forgotten one of his daughter's and son-in-law
was somebody hubby and I know from our daughter's days
in the high school band.
We used to work Bingo together.
All I had to do was say Bingo and they remembered.
There daughter was in the band the same time as our daughter.
Here is a lovely yellow rose.
I think this one is called Lemon Spice.
It has a delicious lemony scent.
We stopped to drink in the fragrance.
They do have other flowers such as these irises blooming here.

Another yellow rose.
I am not sure if the first one I mentioned or if
this one is the Lemon Spice.
So many roses there.

A very bushy pink rose plant.
Quite big actually.
We noticed how much more colorful the roses were this year
compared to the last time we were there.

More roses on the front side of the house.
The house is to the left, the street to the right.

This is the Graham Thomas.
A lovely light scent.
I think I have the name right on this one.
There are many arbors it seems.
This one leads in from the street.

Lots of pathways to walk along,
arbors to walk under.

A wrought iron arbor.
That is hubby in the background there.
There is even a grove of redwood trees to one side of the property.
It felt good to stand in the middle of it to cool off.
It was warm in the sun.
The scent there reminded us of camping in the mountains.
This bush was growing along a fence on the edge of the property.

A larger view of some of the yard area.
See the little footbridge.
There were a few of those too.
I just love this rose too.
Didn't catch the name of this one.

Another pathway heading back towards the rear of the house.
You can kind of see the vegetable garden area
closer to the house.
Also other guest visiting.
There were many.
It was a popular place today.
I love this bush too.
Got the name of it as well.
Permanent Wave.
Isn't that a crazy name?
Sigh.....

Look at this brilliant yellow!!!
Sorry, don't know the name.

This is the view from the patio and deck area at the back of the house.
Isn't that a wonderful backyard?
The orangy rose is World War II
and the red one is Veteran's Honor.
Here is a hitching post watching over the roses.
This is looking back the other way from the
second picture I took.
My mother and I really enjoyed this.
And so did hubby.
A wonderful way to spend time with your mother.
Especially if you both love roses.
We then took both of my parents and my brother
out to dinner.
It was fun, except I started not feeling well.
Not good.
Hope I am not getting anything.
When we got home we found this!!
A bouquet of flowers for me!!!!
From my lovely Goddaughter!!
Since we were not home,
there were left on the hood of hubby's truck.
Here they are in the house.
Isn't that a neat vase I am going to have now??
It will be fun to do other things with it later.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Happy Mother's Day!!
~Linnea~

13 comments:

Archer said...

My Goodness Nommy! Such lovely pictures of all the roses!! I'm glad that you got a chance to spend some time with Grandma at John's! Happy Mother's Day! I love you and miss you bunches!

Nancy said...

So lovely!

ellen b. said...

Happy Mother's Day Linnea!! What a great garden you toured. So many pretty flowers. How lovely to spend time there with your mother. I had flowers delivered with a similar vase to yours...enjoy your day.

RoeH said...

Wonder photos. My favorite rose is the yellow rose. I have no idea why since they both smell the same...but for some reason it takes me back to the farm in Idaho as a little girl.

raxx a day in the life said...

What a special day you and your mom had! The flowers are lovely esp the roses, I would have loved to be there, thank you so much for the tour and photos! Happy Mother's Day!!

Heather said...

what a beautiful place to visit! love your flowers too! i hope you start to feel better soon. Happy mother's day!

Sweetie said...

Linnea - Thank you so much for the beautiful tour. I think that the yellow roses are my very favorite. I hope that you are not coming down with something. Happy Mother's Day!
Sweetie

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place to visit. So many beautiful flowers here. You are blessed to be able to spend time with your mother. I'm glad you had a nice day. I just love your flowers! What a sweet Goddaughter you have ♥

Anonymous said...

Morning, Linnea! Oh, what a lovely place! I love roses but have never been any good trying to grow them so Mr. Precious bought me some knock out roses for Mother's Day!
The tulips are gorgeous!
Oh, I'll be following the path where our Stella goes! This was so much fun.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Gorgeous photos! I loved the red & white rose. Hope you and yours spent the Mother's Day in joy and laughter!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Hi, beautiful roses, these are one of my fav flowers to grow. To answer your question about deleting duplicate photos if you delete the wrong photo it will be removed from your blog. Sometimes it's hard to figure out which one to delete, but if you delete it you can always add it back. Hope this helps.

The Muse said...

A belated, but no less sweet..happy mother's day!

Wow..i loved walking with you through those fabulous gardens!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Linnea...hope your Mother's Day was terrific...the flowers are lovely! What a nice surprise to come home to. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson