Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursdays!---Books

Suzanne at the Coloradolady is our host for Vintage Thingies Thursdays!
I have not participated in awhile. I took this pictures back in March and I am finally getting around to using them in a post!
This is how I have some of my older books displayed on the mantel
with my cute bear bookends holding them up. Don't you just love them?
Well, I do anyway.


Here is a page from the book on the far right.
It is called "Lone Star Tomboy" by Allyn Allen.
It was published in 1951 so it is older than me.
I think this book was in the family and it was given to me when I was old enough to read it.
I can remember reading this one several times.

This is a page from the yellow book in the middle.
Titled "Dangerous Island" by Helen Mather-Smith Mindlin.
It was published in 1956 and it was part of the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club.
Anyone remember the Weekly Reader fliers we used to get at school?
I loved them. It meant new books.
I was usually allowed to order at least one book.
And what fun when they came in!
This book belonged to a cousin, then my uncle who is only 6 years older than me and then it became my book. I also remember reading this one several times as well.

This is from the blue book on the far right.
"Mystery of the Gulls" by Phyllis A. Whitney.
This book was published in 1949. Wow! She has been writing books a long time.
I am not sure if she is still alive since I have not researched that yet.
This was the first book I read by her and enjoyed it so much I continued
to read many more as well.
And I still have not read all of her books yet.
I can never figure out "who dun it" before I get to the end of the book.
I get stumped everytime I read one of her books!
~~~~~~~~
The other books there include:
~~~~~
"Black Beauty"-no publishing date, but it was my mother's.
Her handwriting is in the book and amazingly I have never read it.
~~~~~~
"Bambi's Children"-published in 1939 also was my mother's.
And also one I never read. Shame on me.....!
~~~~~
"The Wind in The Willows"-originally copyrighted in 1908,1913.
However I don't know when this copy was printed but it was in my mother's childhood books.
And I have not read this one either, boy I am beginning to look bad.

These books I have sitting on the piano.
That bear is from London.
My son bought that when he was there in 1998 to march in the New Year's Day Parade.
The picture on top of the books is vintage.
It is of hubby and his parents taken in 1945.
On the left are senior portraits of my brothers and I.
Getting vintage I would say.
And on the right is hubby and I taken about 24 years ago.
And that little doily, I know it is hard to see, but it is also
quite old. Someone in hubby's family made it.
Could be his mother, or one of his grandmothers.
I have several of them around the house.
~~~~~
Now about the books since that is what this post is really about!

You can probably tell the top one is "Winnie the Pooh".
Originally copyrighted in 1926, this one is the December 1943 printing.
I think it was my mother's sister's book first, then her brother's before it came into my hands.
The wear on it shows that it was read many times over the years.
~~~~~
The middle book is "Bardelys The Magnificent" by Rafael Sabatini.
Copyrighted in 1905, it was given to my Grandmother I assume.
It has the date Dec. 3, 1926 in her handwriting with her maiden name and her address when she was living in Reedley, California.
Then she added her married name later and her address in Oakland, California.
Another book I have never read.
Oh dear, bad me again.
I am realizing I should read these treasures while I still can.
~~~~~~
And last but not least is the bottom book on the piano.
I have no idea what it says, because it is in Finnish.
That is my excuse for not reading this book and I am sticking to it!

My mother's side is Finnish and this was my grandmother's sister's book.
So that makes her my great-aunt. She was also my godmother.
I have written about her before as I have many of her things.
She had no children, so as her goddaughter things were passed on to me.
Some of the other relatives got some things too, especially her art work.
Anyway, back to the book, sorry for getting sidetracked there.

The book was printed in Finland. Two dates are there
1955 and 1958.
One is probably the copyright date and the other the printing date.
The inside shows that it is a children's book.
The picture above is probably about occupations.
The pictures make that kind of obvious.

This looks like a play or a skit.

Learning about the alphabet.

More about the alphabet. Hmmm.....
They don't have some of the letters we have in the English alphabet.
I sometimes wish I had learned more about the Finnish language
while my aunt/godmother was still alive.
She died in 2002 at the age of 90 and 10 months.
Thanks for visiting me.
Be sure to see Suzanne for more Vintage Thingies!
~Linnea~

20 comments:

Marie Reed said...

I certainly remember those book fliers! I used to absolutely pour over them and agonize over which one to pick out! WHat a fun post!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

look at that books! love them. and who doesn't! right Linnea?! hehehehe happy VTT

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Linnea,
Loved your vintage books. That is so neat that you have them from your Mom and other relatives. I love books too, especially christian books that you can learn from, but also all the books like
Peter Rabbit and pooh that I read to my children. I have an antique
Mother Goose book from my maternal
grandmother. She had it when she was little and I had it passed onto me when I had my first child.
I really love that book cause I remember reading it again and again
as a child. Thanks for sharing it
was a fun read.
Have a great day hon,
Blessings, Nelie

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I love vintage books and I love how you've displayed yours.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH Linnea! I love your old books! What a wonderful and treasured collection. I have just a few and I adore them. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

hugs, Linda

Darlene said...

Morning Linnea,

Sorry I haven't visited in a while. Thank you for all the sweet comments about Lexi's dance. Oh, and I do have all her costumes.

I LOVE all your vintage books. I am a book-aholic anyway so books always make me smile. I have a bunch I have not read yet either. Better get after it!!!

Hope you have a great day!

Postcardy said...

Oh, here are the teddy bear bookends. For some reason the comment showed up with Marie's name!

I only have a few of my old books, but I also have some of my mother's childhood books.

SueLovesCherries said...

Wonderful book collection! Thanks for sharing them!

Unknown said...

Something about old books! Don't you just love to display them?? Stop by and see my table setting, if you like what you see, be sure to subscribe to my blog by clicking on "Follow" in the right hand column. This way we can inspire one another frequently! Be sure to stay a while when you're there and enjoy the experience!

Julie said...

Although I love my computer, nothing can replace the feel of the written word in your hands. I love old books too.

Judi said...

Your books are so precious and priceless. How amazing that they are in such lovely condition and you remember reading them too. They are such a lovely collection.
Your Finnish book on the outside reads: "Golden Alphabet" and on the one page it shows the professions on the left side and
on the right side it is more on the professions and their "song" eg. the bottom right reads "the cobbler's song" ... neat.
The last page shows how they were taught to read. They would say for example: "Ville" is a person's name so they would break it into syllables and say the three letters " V I L" and then "VIL" and then say the next letters "L E" LE...."Vil-le".

I wish I had a book like that. Maybe I'll check ebay or something.
thank you for sharing your lovely collection...
Judi

Michelle said...

What a great collection of vintage books! I wish I knew what happened to all of mine. I do remember having Black Beauty. I also loved the illustrations back then too! Thanks for sharing with us, Linnea!

Becky said...

Love the books! I have been out of sorts lately and have gotten behind on reading blogs and books! I love to read! Yu better get busy on the books you haven't read! Sorry you have to work on the holiday!

Darlene said...

Hi Linnea,

To answer your question. We will slow down a bit but she has ball practice and ball games twice a week all through the month of June. Then on June 15th she starts daily practice for a summer play (Willy Wonka) that will be presented for four performances in the middle of July. In July they will start 5th grade cheerleading practice. So, though we do slow down considerably from the school year she is still quite active throughout the summer. She also wants to swim everyday in our pool, but that is what summer is about isn't it?!?!

Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend.♥

Miri said...

Wonderful collection of vintage books! I love the way you have them displayed too.

I certainly remember Weekly Reader...both the book orders and the newspaper-first newspaper I ever read! :)

Anonymous said...

Linnea, your books are wonderful! I love how youhave them displayed with the photos of your children. So pretty! Don't you just love flipping through old books. Yes, I see all of my grandchildren all of the time. I am blessed ♥

Coloradolady said...

These books are great and what a cute display they make with your bears. I love the red book with the rooster, that is so cute! Thanks for being patient this week with the blog troubles. Have a great weekend.

BECKY said...

Hi 'Nea!! Thanks for the memories!! I LOVED those flyers, although we didn't have a lot of money, so I didn't get much from them. When I did I was so exctied!!

Your vintage books are awesome, and so are those pics of you when you were younger!! Such fun!!

Hope your weekend is a restful, fun one!!

Love 'n hugs,
Becky

Heather said...

awesome books! what a great collection. love the way you have them displayed.

The Muse said...

I am breathing heavily! LOL
yes, books, a muse weakness!

oh, i ever so loved looking at your treasures!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson