Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Three or More Tuesday Tutorial

Welcome to Three or More Tuesday!
Tam over at The Gypsy's Corner is our wonderful host for this fun day.
Thank you Tam for hosting for us!
I have been asked about this Petunia Tower I have in my side bar.
So today I will show what I use to make it.
Three or more clay pots!
The first two are in position here.
I started with a 16" pot. I put in some potting mix.
Actually I start with the styrofoam pellets or popcorn thingies.
Then I add the potting mix.
Oh and a dowel in the middle.
I think it is a 3/4" dowel.
Then if I remember correctly the next pot is a 12" pot.
Third pot is a 10" pot and the top pot is an 8" pot.
The finished project is quite heavy so it needs to be assembled where you want to have it.
Also we used those little pot supports and rocks to help level it.
The dowel was longer than the height of the tower, so hubby cut off the excess for me.
I put in purple, white and red petunias
and in the top I put in a red and white petunia plant.
Gave it sort of a red, white and blue theme that way.
I got it looking full by keeping it watered and pinching off the dead flowers as it grew.
Now when spring comes and it is not raining so much I will have to go back out there
and clean out the dead plants and replant it with new ones.
So there you have it, three or more pots to make a tower.
I found the project in a container gardening magazine I had.
Happy Three or More Tuesday!
~Linnea~

33 comments:

April said...

That is so pretty, Linnea...I think I could do that! Thanks a bunch!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Linnea, this is great, I want to try this very soon, well at least I'll have to let this darn snow melt. I can't wait to get outside...winter has been too long for me.
I'll be back to visit often.

Chandy said...

It is simply beautiful! I think I will do that! How clever!

Anonymous said...

Your petunia tower is terrific - Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

cute idea. i love it!

Candy said...

Pretty Petunias! I, too, have made a clay pot tower except mine are tilted against one another.
I'll have to make one like yours...love it.
Happy Tues, Candy

Lindsay-ann said...

Thanks for showing how you did the beautiful petunia tower. It looks great and easy enough for even me to do! I will definately be having one of those in my garden this summer.
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Linnea! I am so impressed with your creativity in making this tower that way!! I might have to do that when I come back to Washington in July. I really like it! Happy Tuesday to you!

Stephanie said...

I would love to make on of those!!

Thanks for sharing.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Beautiful flowers, Linnea! What a cute idea!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and so pretty too :>)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Hi Linnea!!!
I love this! I think I'd like to put together a couple of these :0)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

That is so pretty. Thanks for showing us how to do it.

Michelle said...

Such a nice arrangement of petunias. I am ready to have a little color at my house. Waiting for spring time to get here!

Elaine said...

This is great! I've got to try this!
Elaine :)

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Oh Linnea that is so neat, I'll have to try that this Spring. Thank you so much for the tutorial what a perfect 'Three Or More' post.
Have a wonderful evening,
Tam

Becky said...

How pretty is that! I love petunias. So very Springy!!!

Lorrie said...

Linnea this is such a neat idea and not hard to do--thanks for the lesson!

Tracy said...

What a great project! I can't wait for Spring so I can try it, I have very limited space to planting upward is a great idea.

Bonnie said...

This is a fun idea, Linnea. Thanks for sharing it! Bonnie

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful arrangement. Looks like a wedding cake!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR PETUNIA TOWER SO VERY MUCH.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG.
I CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR SPRING BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND ME IN THE FLOWER GARDEN AND THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO HELP MY DADDY IN HIS TWO BIG VEGETABLE GARDENS. THEY ONLY HAVE ONIONS IN NOW......
OKLAHOMA IS A RISKY PLACE TO PLANT TOO EARLY BECAUSE WE HAVE LATE FREEZES
I WILL BE BACK TO VISIT MANY TIMES.....AS I HOPE YOU WILL ME.
I WAS ONE OF THOSE THAT FOUND OUT LATE YOU CAN FILL SOME OF YOUR POT WITH PACKING PEANUTS....OH THE MONEY I WASTED THAT I COULD HAVE BOUGHT MORE CLAY POTS AND FLOWERS WITH.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE LESSON
BLESSINGS
debbie

KBeau said...

I love this, especially the patriotic theme.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing that.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I like it! I can hardly wait to try something like this once the weather is warm enough☺

Judi said...

Linnea!! Love it love it love it!!
What a beautiful tower for plants. I am DEFINATELY going to give that a try when the summer gets here. It really is stunning.
Thank you for sharing
hava a great day
Judi

Anonymous said...

That is lovely.Thank you for telling us.I know there will be alot--of people use this....Ann

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is so clever the way you stacked those petunia pots...love it....will have to try it....come on spring! Linda

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Petunia are one of my very favorite flowers and I am going to STEAL htis wonderful idea from you! Love it! Thanks for your sharing heart :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I need to do this tomorrow! Yours looks great!

xo,

Sheila :-)

Libby's Library said...

I'm so glad that you posted this. I've wanted to buy something similar that they sell at a local nursery,
But - this is just as nice, at a fraction of the cost!!!

shaybert said...

Ooooooh I can't wait for Spring! I think I may try this! Thanks for sharing it! Blessings, Shay

raxx a day in the life said...

This is pretty and simple, I must try it!! I am so into petunias now, I bought 15 of them on Tuesday, now I'm off to get some more and two more clay pots, I have on empty just the same as your mid sized pot in your tower.

Yours looks really pretty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson