Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pink Saturday #14 and A Happy Birthday to Someone Special!!

Here we are at another Pink Saturday! I seem to be able to find pink somewhere each week so far. I want to thank Beverly at How Sweet the Sound who hosts Pink Saturday for us each week. Go visit her to see who else is participating in Pink Saturday. Okay, it is going to look like I am really pushing it to find pink here today. But there is a reason for this particular set of pictures. Today is my son's 28th birthday and since he is my first child, I have now been a mom for 28 years!! I find that hard to believe. So what do I have that is Pink on this anniversary of my son's birth. First of all, I want to note that his birthday falls on a Saturday and he was born on a Saturday. So I find myself reflecting on what I was doing on the Thursday before and the Friday before. On the Thursday before I had my college roommate over to our apartment for dinner. My due date was not until Jan 17th. I remember complaining to Debbie (my roommate who died in 1984) that I was tired of being big and awkward. I was just so ready to have this pregnancy over with and for the baby to arrive. Well, the next day, Friday the 19th, my water bag broke. At that time, the policy was that if the water bag broke the baby had to arrive within 24 hours. This turned into a long labor and our precious son was not born until Saturday morning. I missed having a C-section by 2 hours. The doctor who admitted me was all set to do a C-section on Saturday morning. But when he arrived to start his shift, there I was in the delivery room. I was very relieved to not have that C-section. Perhaps I complained too loudly and that was why my little guy came 4 weeks early. His weight was normal, nothing was wrong and I was able to take him home on Sunday, Dec. 22nd. My mother flew down to be with us and help me with learning to care for a brand new baby for the first time. Also it was the first time my family was split up at Christmas. It was strange for my dad and brothers to be without my mother and me. But it was all for a good reason. We also never got a tree that year, we got kind of busy obviously! LOL! So now that you read all that, you are probably wondering where is the pink here besides a new pinkish baby. On my table I have this basket of ornaments. You can see the basket in the first picture above. The next picture directly above is a close up of the ornaments in the basket. First you can see the ornaments I have posted on a Pink Saturday before I think. The fabric ones that are made from scraps of my wedding dress and my bridesmaids dresses. There is pink in the flowers in the print the bridesmaids wore. My sister-in-law had made these for us for our first Christmas.
This ornament you can see a little bit of pink in it. The present on there seems pink to me. This is the ornament given to us for our son's first Christmas in 1980. This side says "A son is...a maker of memories, a source of pride...A son is love."
Then the other side says "Christmas 1980"
Also in this basket is the ornament from our daughter's first Christmas in 1984. It is a pale pink ornament with girly things on it. This side says "Baby's First Christmas."
On this side, the flag at the top has the year on it. 1984. Across the bottom is says "A Baby Girl is love that grows in the warmth of caring hearts." There are different shades of pink in the pictures around this ornament. Try clicking on the pictures to see a closeup. Both of these ornaments are special to us. Since I don't have a big tree up this year, displaying them in a basket on the table was the next best thing. That way they are still out for me to enjoy!
Happy Pink Saturday!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for the other part of this post. My son's birthday! I wanted to share a few pictures of him growing up into the man he is today.
This is one of my favorite pictures of him. This was his Kindergarten picture. I still have it in a frame. I just love the cute little guy he was here. Oh wait, he is still cute. I get to say that because I am his mom!
When he was in 7th grade, he dressed as an old guy for Halloween. He did a pretty good job acting the part. We used something to turn his hair all white. That was also the year he had to help out at the community Halloween party as part of an assignment for his social studies class. His teacher is involved in local government and so pushed community involvement whenever possible. His teacher and I used to live in the same neighborhood and went to the same schools and were involved in the same 4-H club. It was kind of strange that both of my kids ended up having him for a teacher. His younger brother was my age and was in most of my classes as we were growing up.
His graduation picture! He is one handsome/cute guy here. Remember now, I get to say that cuz I am his mom.
Here is a more recent picture of him taken maybe 3 years ago or so. I love his soft look here.
I made this collage after he graduated from high school and gave as a gift to family members. I don't remember how many of them I made. On the back of the frame I have a listing about what year and where each pose was taken. I have a picture from shortly after he was born and for every calendar year until he graduated from high school. That last picture on the right is was at graduation. I got pictures showing the different things he did growing up. A couple of Halloween pictures, a couple of band pictures, boating, fishing, first day of school in kindergarten, baseball, scouts and theater. The picture just to the left of him in cap and gown was his costume as King Grin in the play "Snow Queen". The picture before that is just before he went to London with his high school band to march in the New Year's Day parade there. That was quite an honor for the band to go there. I still have to make this collage for my daughter and she graduated in 2002! I would say I am very very very late making that one.
So thank you for sharing my pink saturday and my memories of giving birth and my son growing up to the man he is today. And son, if you are reading this, HAPPY 28TH BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you are having a great day. I miss you tons and can't wait until the next time we can get together.

17 comments:

Dawn said...

A very happy birhtday to Nils!!!!! My daughter turned 28 this past August. My how time flies!!!! I loved the pictures and the stories that you shared! He was/is a very handsome boy/man! I can tell from the tone of what you wrote how much you love him and how proud you are of him!!!

take care,
Dawn

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is one very handsome son, Linnea! Happy Birthday to Nils!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Betty said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome son!!

Unknown said...

You may be pushing the pink a little, but you know we love seeing everything Christmas right now! Great idea to display the ornaments in a basket because of the smaller tree.

Fifi Flowers said...

Happy Pink Saturday to YOU! and Happy Birthday to your son! ENJOY! Fifi

SmilingSally said...

He is a good looking guy. Thank you for sharing. Happy Pink Day!

nikkicrumpet said...

Happy Birthday Nils...He is a very handsome young man. And I'm sure you're very proud of him!

Michelle said...

You have such a beautiful family. I love collecting Christmas ornaments. It's fun to look back at the old ones. blessing. ;)

Anonymous said...

WHAT A HANDSOME YOUNG MAN.I REALLY THOUGHT THAT WAS AN OLD MAN.HAHA....ANN

ellen b. said...

Hi Linnea! A very Happy birthday to your first born. What a handsome young man! Our Dan turns 28 on January 16th!
You have lots of celebrating around this time of year :0)
I'll be posting about our Cooking day tomorrow. It's a Russian recipe we have every Christmas Eve for part of our dessert...

Anonymous said...

Linnea, best wishes to your son on his birthday. He is a very handsome fellow blessed with a great mom.

That collage you assembled was fantastic! Truly special.

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Happy Holidays and Happy Birthday to your son, Linnea.

These are such sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Stephanie said...

I really enjoyed your story. Isn't it interesting to look back? Thanks for sharing! I would love to do one of those collages. That was cool!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Linnea! What a wonderful tribute to your Birthday Boy! He is a handsome one, indeed!! Your ornaments made from the dresses in your wedding are a great idea! I got a big old laugh out of your Christmas Cookies idea!! I think I need to "eat" some of those!
Have a great Christmas Week! Dana

KatCollects said...

Happy Birthday to your Son, and Happy belated pink Saturday.
Kathy

Ellen said...

Seasons Greetings and Happy Birthday...I also share a 1980's ornament, my first born DD, and I have a 1983 ornament. Merry Christmas to you and yours :)EllenL

Life on the Edge said...

What a coincidence! My daughter turned 28 on Dec. 21!

Kady

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson