Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Monday, December 22, 2008

Blue Monday #13

It is time for Blue Monday again. Sally at Smiling Sally hosts this blue Monday for us every week. Go and check her blog to visit others who are posting for Blue Monday.
Yesterday was the start of week 4 of the Advent season. This is the fourth verse of the hymn about lighting the four candles to watch for Messiah. My header picture has also been changed to reflect that it is now Week 4. In my church, blue is the color for the season of Advent.
I got an easy candy recipie from Lisa and she couldn't remember where she got it. Yesterday I decided to make it. It turned into a bigger project than I expected because we decided to not only give some to my fellow therapists at work, we also decided to give some to his co-workers as well. That turned into making 24 gifts for our co-workers combined. I started with mini pretzels and layed then out on the cookie sheet. Oh and oven was preheated to 200 degrees. Then we had to dig into the Hersey's kisses. See the blue on the packaging above.
We also needed M&M's. Here are a couple of blue ones and the wording on the little strips of papers is in blue!
Here I have the Hersey's kisses sitting on the pretzels. Boy that was the time-consuming part. Hubby and I did this project together. I was glad too, otherwise I would probably still be working on it and it is now past 1 am my time. At this point we put the cookie sheet in the oven for 5 mins. Remember the oven is at 200 degrees.
Then we take the cookie sheet out of the oven and press an M&M in each Hersey's kiss while it is still warm. Push down good, but carefully. Then I transfered them on to a plate with wax paper on it. See my plate has blue. It is the Blue Goose pattern that used to be available at Mervyn's. You can also see the blue M&M's too. After putting them on the plate then it went into the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up the soft chocolate. We were very good. We did not taste any until we figured out how many we were able to make and divy up between 24 gift packages. I finally went to the Dollar Tree in my town for the first time. That is where I found these containers and the mini pretzels. We had to stop there again on Sunday to get more of these containers when we decided to make gifts for our co-workers. Then while we were working on the project, hubby went back again to get more pretzels. What a project.
Here are the finished gifts in the containers. You can see some of the blue M&M's peeking through. We will be taking these to work, tomorrow,uh I mean today since it is now after midnight. Silly me being up so late. I also added loose M&M's, extra Hersey's Kisses and one cookie each that I also baked. The easy way, frozen cookie dough. I hope our co-workers appreciate the little gifts we put so much effort into on Sunday. Hubby and I had fun working on this project together. In between we cooked dinner and cleaned up most of the kitchen too.
Happy Blue Monday and Merry Christmas to Everyone!!

22 comments:

Judith said...

they look delicious - could you not send some over this way? lol take care, Judith

bj said...

ummmm, these look and sound so delicious...yummy. And how sweet of you and hubby to make such sweet things for your friends. You both rock!
love, bj

Unknown said...

My niece and nephews make these every year and I love them. I can't believe how many you made, they're simple but this would have taken me all day without having time to make meals! It's nice that you did this as a couple.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is some blue goodness I really love, Linnea! Yum! Now where is my batch??? LOL! ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Goodness you've been a busy baker! What a wonderful gift...one from the heart for sure!
Merry Christmas!

SmilingSally said...

What a generous and giving couple you are. Those are the best gifts because they're made with love. Happy Blue Monday!

ellen b. said...

Good morning Linnea!! Look at you with all those sweets packaged up to give away!! I'm impressed. May you and yours have a Very Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

You have captured the true meaning of Christmas. What wonderful gifts from the heart. Blessings to you and your family this holiday season.

BECKY said...

Hi 'Nea! I love how creative you are with your Blue and Pink days!! I wouldn't think of including things that you think of!! It makes it fun to come and see! You never know what you'll find! (didn't Forrest Gump say somethin' like that?? lol)

Giving treats is so much fun. I sent some White Christmas Mix (cheerios, corn chex, peanuts, pretzels, and plain M & M's coated with white chocolate)in with my hubby for his coworkers today. No pics though. My software hasn't been loaded into this new computer yet. I'll be posting probably the day after Christmas.

May your holidays be filled with love, faith, family time and fun as you celebrate the Giver of all good things!
Thanks for being a great blogging friend!
Merry Christmas,
Becky

Cindy said...

Those looks so good!!!! Lucky coworkers!!!! Now I'm craving something sweet!

The Muse said...

hello :)
although i have an unexplainable aversion to blue m&m's this may actually lure me to at least try them :)
nice blue post

akawest said...

That was so very sweet of you to make those for everyone.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Dawn said...

Those look so good!! I am saving this recipe. What a "sweet" gift idea. You are very thoughtful to do so much!

take care,
Dawn

Lindsay-ann said...

Those Herseys kisses look really delicious. You have been very busy in the kitchen! Thanks for showing them, I feel very hungry now!
Merry Christmas
Lindsay

Archer said...

I'm glad that you and Daddy decided to make those together for you co-workers. What a fun thing to do together. Although I'm sure you didn't need to be up all night like that. It sounds like you guys had fun. And everyone is right, they do sound delicious!! Can you send some to me???

nikkicrumpet said...

I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much. They look yummy and are packaged up so nice!

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Linnea,
What a great gift to give away. Not only do they look so yummy, they are made with love. That is what Christmas is all about, to give like Christ did.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas
Love, Ann

Stephanie said...

That sounds like so much fun! Your co-workers will be so delighted I'm sure!

Merry Christmas!

Stephanie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Merry Christmas!!!
I have made some treats like yours with a rolo instead of the kiss and a pecan on top instead of the M&M...also very Yummy.
How very nice of you to make so many.
Blessings to you and yours on Christmas Day.
Deb

just a little bit shabby said...

How thoughtful you are! I am SO excited. I've got my mosaic done and ready for Monday. WOOHOO!
Wishing you and your family the merriest and blessed Christmas!
Sandyt

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas Linnea!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

In case things get really crazy today, I just wanted to stop in and tell you what a joy it is to have gotten to know you this year!

Merry Christmas, Linnea, to you and yours!

XO,

Sheila :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson