Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Monday, December 1, 2008

Blue Monday 10-A

You will probably see that I have two Blue Monday posts. One on each blog. Couldn't decide which to do, so I did both.

Here is the Currier and Ives dishes that I inherited from my mother-in-law. This is what I used on Thanksgiving.
In our church, blue is used for the Season of Advent. These sheer hangings are in our sanctuary for Advent. There are 3 sets of these hanging on each side. If you look carefully, you can see all three sets in the picture.
There are also the blue strips of fabric hanging from above and the blue paraments on the altar. And in front is the wreath with 3 blue candles and 1 pink. I will be changing my header each week to reflect that.
Then the wreath we have at home with the first candle lit. The candle of Hope. Instead of rushing headlong into Christmas, I like to take the time to reflect on what we are waiting for during Advent. And that is also what we do during our church services. Waiting for the Christ Child.

When I was growing up, the tree was not put up until 1 or 2 weekends before Christmas and we left it up until Epiphany. But when my husband was growing up, they did not put up the tree until Christmas Eve Day!

Thank you to Smiling Sally for hosting Blue Monday. Click here to go see others who are doing Blue Monday.

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Catan is kind of like RISK, but not as involved/long. It's way fun though...my husband introduced it to me a few months before we got married and now I'm hooked! If you ever get a chance to play, definitely do it!

SmilingSally said...

What a beautiful church! I love the blue. More than that, I love the reminder of Hope. Happy Blue Day!

SmilingSally said...

Oh, you forgot to link to
http://smilingsally.blogspot.com

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely, Linnea! Such beautiful blue scenes, and I want your dishes! Love blue and white china! And the church is so lovely, too.

I just noticed your sweet note on the sidebar about your daughter-in-love! That's precious! She's blessed to have you as a mother-in-love!

Happy Blue Monday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Morning, Linnea! Oh, I have these same Currier and Ives dishes. They just make me happy! Your church is so beautiful and I love how ya'll have used the sheer blue fabric. So lovely. We started decorating our church last night!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful Blues today. Love the scarves in your church. The shade of blue is stunning.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Love the currier and ives dishes! How special that they've been passed to you. I always like to see how Churches decorate for the season as well.
So, when will you put up your tree? Do you compromise on it?

Sweetie said...

I really like the pieces of your Currier and Ives. Your church is beautiful. The blue scarves are lovely. "People Look East" was our closing hymn at church yesterday. The beautiful song played in my mind all day yesterday and will again today. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie

bj said...

such a beautiful blue posting today...i love your dishes! those bule curtains are lovely...

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I love the advent. We used to attend a church that did the advent and it was beautiful. Have a great week!

Dawn said...

I really like those dishes. The color is really pretty. I'm sure they made a wonderful table setting for Thanksgiving.

The blues you shared from your church are lovely as well.

take care,
Dawn

nikkicrumpet said...

Love the blue dishes. It's interesting to learn about the different customs of different religions this time of year. I'll look forward to hearing more.

ellen b. said...

I too love the anticipation of waiting for the Savior at this time of year...
Love the blue in the church...

just a little bit shabby said...

Hi!Thanks for stopping by! You are such a sweet lady. Thanks again for all your encouragement and support! I remember the advent candles from school but we used 3purple candles and 1 pink one.
Sandyt

Lindsay-ann said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I hope you enjoy watching Stella's journey as much as I do.
I love both your blue Monday posts.
Thanks for sharing.
Lindsay

Suzie Button said...

Your church is gorgeous with the blue, and so is your tablescape! Hope you're having a wonderful week! Suzie

Anonymous said...

Your advent wreath is so pretty. I love Advent candles and Advent. When I was little we always left our tree up until Epiphany too. Your church is beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson