Earth laughs in flowers.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Peace is not a season, it is a way of life.-Unknown
Bees are not as busy at we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown
The sea is as near as we come to another world.-Anne Stevenson

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blue Monday 16-B

Yay! It is Blue Monday again!! Thank you to Sally over at Smiling Sally for being our wonderful host for this fun theme. Go on over and see who else is posting for Blue Monday.
Better yet, join the fun if you haven't already.

On Sunday we were the coffee hosts for coffee time after church. Our turn comes up now and then. I decided to do something different than our usual bagels and cream cheese.
I found a lemon cake recipe that I wanted to try.

When do I decide to put this together?
Sunday morning.
Why I wait until the last minute I don't know.
It seems to be an inborn trait I think.
I need to decide which bowls to use. See them stacked there?
Oh no, maybe I shouldn't have shown you where I keep them.

Mrs Magpie is going to know where they are.

She has a tendency to covet my bowls.

This set is a pyrex set I had gotten as a wedding gift 29 years ago.

No blue there though.

This set used to belong to my godmother. Told you I had a lot of things handed down to me.
I love using this set. I tend to use these more than the pyrex set.
I decide to use the yellow one.
The recipe does say to use a large bowl.

Here is the cake mix. Sorry no blue there.

The recipe calls for a can of lemon pie filling. I could not find canned lemon pie filling.
Other types of pie filling yes, but no lemon pie filling.
What to do, what to do?
I decide to buy this Snack Pack of lemon pudding.
It was about an ounce shy of what I needed.
This should work. Notice the blue wording on the packaging.
I don't have a nice Kitchenaid stand mixer.
Boy I wish I did though.
I want a red one.
So I had to settle for using my hand mixer once again.
It was also a wedding gift. I have had that darn mixer for 29 years.
You know using a hand mixer gets messy.
I had spatters all across the front of the sweatshirt I was wearing and on anything else that was in the vicinity.
I will probably be finding spatter remnants for days.

Recipe says to use a jelly roll pan. I don't have one of those either.
So I look at the grocery store.
No jelly roll pans.
Too late to check any other stores.
Instead I use this 2-pack of aluminun pans I found at the store.
I figure it should work. Notice the blue in the lettering there?
Here it is! The aluminum pans work out just fine.
They came with lids which made it perfect for transporting to church.
Now they have to go into the oven.
Without the lids though.

Yummmmm. Look at that bowl.
There is some left to lick.
Do you lick your spatulas after you empty the bowl?
How about a finger scoop? Yummm.......


Ahhh....yummm......can't you just taste that lemon flavor?
I did.
And boy, was it lemony yummy.

Now I gotta make the icing! Look at all the blue I have here.
The recipe called for a 3 oz package of cream cheese.
Could not find that either.
Boy, I had a tough time finding what I needed.
So I get the 8 oz package and figure I would have to use my little scale to weigh out 3 ozs.
Then there is the butter.
Blue lettering there people.
And the blue package of powdered sugar.

Here is my blue and white towel I used to dry my hands/dishes as I was going along.
Well! What do you know!
Tells you how long it has been since I bought the 8 oz package of cream cheese.
I was surprised to find the oz markings on the package wrap.
In BLUE no less.
I don't have to use that scale after all.
Now all I have to do is cut on the 3 oz mark.
See it is right there between the 2 and the 4. (just in case you couldn't tell)
Yay! The BLUE bowl gets to help me out here.
The butter and cream cheese was not soft enough yet.
Into the microwave it goes to soften it a bit before I add the powdered sugar.
Oh, and some vanilla had to go in there too.
And I make more mess with my hand mixer again.

Here is the cake as I served it. The plate is not mine.
It is one I used at church. This went like hotcakes. Everyone liked it.
Yay! Success!
The best kind.
And I am happy.
We did not get home till much later because of a concert we went to after church.
Guess what I found when we got home.






ANTS!!




In the kitchen.

Guess they were after all my spatter mess from the mixer.

Happy Blue Monday!

37 comments:

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Enjoyed seeing your blue items! I was chuckling while reading your post and how long you've had stuff. I've been married 23 years and have quite the eclectic collection, too. It's like a rainbow of Pyrex when I open the cabinet, depending upon when I acquired it. I started out with brown, then cranberry, amethyst, blue, and of course, good old clear were added in.

Happy Blue Monday :-)

Anonymous said...

Gosh...I have a cup of coffee in hand...wish I had one of those to go with it...they look delish!

bj said...

Great Blue Monday post, dear one...
and I love ANYTHING lemon!!
Have a great week...

SmilingSally said...

LOL Oh, you got me with the ending! lol

I love lemon, so I'd probably scarf down that yummy stuff too. Thanks for sharing your blue episode. Happy Blue Monday.

Libby's Library said...

You are so clever - how you come up with all the "blue" for your posts, is beyond me. I have a Kitchenaid, but I'm longing for a new one (Stainless and Black) I'm drooling now just thinking about it!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Awesome post!!!! I was smiling while reading. The cake looks delicious!! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely bowl set! I use a hand mixer -- I just got rid of my Kitchen Aid a few weeks ago. I don't usually have trouble with it spattering, but then I usually use the lowest 2 speeds no matter what it calls for. That seems to do fine.

Jan's Blog said...

I love your blue mondays, and your new background, and oh I'm sorry to hear about the ants!

Belinda said...

You have a great collection of bowls...love the way the blues/yellows/greens look together, and I love anything lemon! :-)

Anonymous said...

Morning, Linnea! Lovely Pyrex bowls! You've taken great care of them. Now that lemon cake looks devine! You know, I wait until the last minute a lot myself. My reasoning is - I work great under pressures! Tell yourself that next time! OH the ants bit! lol Don't you hate those little critters?
I was very proud to show off our angel today! Diva on, Diva!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

BECKY said...

Just love your personality and how it comes thru in your posts, 'Nea!! Also love your sunset photo and forgot to tell you earlier! God is amazing, isn't He?

Your blue stuff is great! Love the mixing bowls!! I want a red mixer, too!! Or stainless!! Either one!

Have a magnificent Monday and thanks for the smiles!
Becky

The Raggedy Girl said...

I really enjoyed your post. I know how hard it is to cook and take photos at the same time. Really nice crockery.
Roberta Anne

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Blue Monday...love your blues!

akawest said...

I enjoyed your baking tale. As others noted, your personality does shine through in your writing. It is a good thing you are sweet. Hehehe.

Oh, and your bowls are cool. My 69 year old mom has her mom's Pyrex bowls. I bet no one knew back then how we would still like them years later.

Lindsay-ann said...

Loved seeing all your bowls. They are great. The cake looks delicious.
Lindsay

Stephanie said...

Mmmmmm yummy!! I love your new photo at the top...so pretty!!

Stephanie

nikkicrumpet said...

Your header picture is simply spectacular! I don't know how I've not taken the time to really look at it before. I'm a dope. And that cake sure looked yummy...I hope you saved a piece for MEEEEEE!

Anonymous said...

Now I'm ready for lemon cake..:). I loved your blues and your pretty cake. Happy Blue Monday and have a lovely week.

Missy Wertz said...

I like your bowls and I'll take a piece of that cake! Happy Blue Monday!

Sweetie said...

I enjoyed everything about your post. The Pyrex bowls are great. Your dessert looks delicious. Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'm coming after the bowl, the dish cloth, and the goodies. You best be hiding them! LOL! ;-)

XO,

Sheila

Michelle said...

Actually I loved your colorful bowls. I wish I had them. Also, yummy that looks like it was good. Not crazy about ants but that is easy to fix. :)

LADY JANE said...

Oh Miss Linnea,The cake sounds wonderful....
YOU and I must form a pack...lol...I promise to keep an eye on your bowls that My dear Friend Ms. Magpie loves...I promise lol to wave a SILVER SHINY SPOON in front of her precious little Magpie nose,And you must promise to keep an eye on all my bolts of fabric...her and I are having ...lol...a FABRIC WAR...and rofl I fear she lol....may covet one to make a tablecloth on which to set your BOWLS!
Ok...my dear...We will have a pact between us...and LOL if all else fails..you distract her and I'll snag Annie for me and a sock monkey for you! Happy Blue...I got the giggles now MONDAY!

Carlotta said...

Boy that looks yummy. Love the blue mixing bowl.
~Carlotta~

The Bliss Journey said...

Clever use of blue. Your cake sounds great. I love anything lemon, guess the ants did too. Licking the bowl and spatula is the best part. I don't think there are any calories in that.
Kathleen

Charlotte said...

Hi Linnea...your cake looks like it turned out very tasty....lucky church people.

Meadowsweet Days said...

Linnea, that sunset is breathtaking! And so are those lemon squares as a matter of fact! :) May I have one, please?

Carol

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

OH Linnea! Ants?! REally? Ugh!
I loved this "blue" post but now I want cake sooooo bad!
Loved that it all worked out in the end and your bowls are wonderful!

Glenda said...

Oh Yum.

I hate them little critters. They think they own the joint. I see Ant spray in their future.

Ciao

Becky said...

As a little girl I would always lick the spatula and take my finger to the bowl and never got sick. Now they say don't do that because of the raw eggs that you added to the mix. Did you use eggs??? Salmonella is the reason why!

ellen b. said...

Sheesh! Linnea! How did I miss your Blue Monday. I really thought I clicked on every one and now I'm way to late to lick the bowl!!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Love the bowls! And the cake look scrumptious! Maybe Santa will bring your red Kitchen-Aid next year! (If he still is employed in the North Pole - I understand the recession has hit up there as well!)
Take care!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hey, no fair! Two against one! LOL!

XO,

Sheila... who wants to thank Lady Jane about the table cloth idea about which I am going to enlist Annie's help. She's quite the little magpie herself, and she has taken a shining to those bowls and fabric as well! ;-)

Heather said...

that looks so delicious! if i was an ant i would have broken in too!
thanks for checking out what Stella is up to! She's having a lot of fun so far.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Linnea...your cake looks very yummy! Mr. Linky apparently has been experiencing outages all day...the Tablescape Tuesday links have been disappearing and then reappearing and then disappearing....very frustrating. :-(
Susan

Tracey said...

Linnea, I love your colored bowls. Yours are great because they are antiques. I have a set of nesting bowls in all colors, but I got mine at Crate and Barrel and I love them. That lemon cake looked so lucious. Have a great week-end. Hugs, Tracey

Dawn said...

Oh yum!! I love LEMON!! It looks good to me ☺ I also like the bowls that you used. I lick the batter too! I usually use a spoon but have been known to use my fingers as well LOL!

take care,
Dawn

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quotes for Thought

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. --Sophia Loren

Each day slowly shapes our lives, as dripping water shapes the stone.

Each day is God's gift to you, make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty.

May I never miss a rainbow or a sunset because I am looking down.

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. -Thomas Moore

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.-Washington Irving

It doesn't take monumental feats to make the world a better place. It can be as simple as letting someone go ahead of you in a grocery line.-Barbara Johnson